The Showcase Awards recognize and celebrate excellence in magazine editorial content and design. Finalists will be announced in February 2019 and winners will be announced April 4, 2019 at the Alberta Magazine Awards Gala.
The Showcase Awards competition is open to work by an AMPA member magazine (print or digital) or the work of their freelance contributors published in an issue dated 2018.
Submission Costs and Deadlines
Early Bird Submission
Deadline: 4:00PM MST, Monday Dec. 3
Rate for literary magazine members and freelancers: $30
Deadline: Until 4:00PM MST, Monday, Dec. 17
Rate: $50 for all
- All entries must be the work of Canadian content creators
- Advertorial and/or promotional content is inadmissible
- It is the responsibility of the submitter to enter according to the guidelines. Entries that don’t conform to the rules or fit category definitions may be disqualified without notice. Entry fees will not be refunded.
- No entries will be returned. No refunds will be granted.
- All decisions made by the judges are final
- Judges reserve the right to not grant an award in a category if, in their opinion, no entry merits one
- AMPA reserves the right to cancel any category that does not receive sufficient submissions to provide a legitimate competition. In this case entry fees will be refunded to the submitters.
- AMPA reserves the right to use the winning entries in the awards program, for exhibit, educational purposes, online and/or in a publication of collected work, but not for sale or profit
- The number of finalists in each category will be proportionate to the number of entries (above a preset threshold) submitted in each category to a maximum of 10 finalists
- Finalists will be announced in February, prior to the Awards Gala on April 4, 2019
Specific Guidelines for Written Categories
- Awards for writing are open to staff or freelance contributors
- With the exception of the fiction and poetry categories, all written submissions must be non-fiction
- The same work may not be entered in multiple written categories, unless otherwise stated
- Awards are for articles published as “first rights” only
There is no limit to the number of entries per magazine, per category, but the same work may not be submitted to more than one written category. The same work, however, may be entered in a written category as well as a visual or integrated category
Specific Guidelines for Digital Categories
Entries must be available live online for judging purposes