Deadline to ApplyFriday, 25 November 2016
CompanyGlass Buffalo Publishing
About the Company: Glass Buffalo Publishing is a literary publisher in search of mythic power. We publish a magazine three times per year that highlights fiction, nonfiction, and poetry from emerging writers attending the University of Alberta, and we host literary events in the city in partnership with festivals and other arts organizations.
Job Description: We are looking for a creative, self-motivated individual to assist the editor in various duties for a four-month term beginning December 5, 2016, and ending March 31, 2017. This is a flex-time internship without a set schedule that will require some evening and weekend work either at home or in other locations in the city. As an editorial intern, you will have the opportunity to learn all of the various duties that go into publishing and promoting a literary magazine and to build connections and relationships with people in the Edmonton publishing community.
Responsibilities may include:
- Working as a liaison between the editor and contributors
- Managing circulation and a subscriber database
- Evaluating, fact checking, and copyediting submissions
- Proofreading the magazine in layout
- Writing a monthly newsletter
- Researching grants and other funding opportunities
- Marketing the magazine and events using social media
- Assisting in planning a launch party
- Must be a current student or recent graduate (2013 or later graduation date) of a post-secondary education program including journalism, English, digital media, or a related field.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Organized and can work independently
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with Squarespace and social media are an asset but not a requirement
- Interested in magazines, Canadian literature, and the arts
How to Apply
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter, resume, and a sample of writing (a short piece of creative writing up to 1,000 words OR up to 3 poems) to Matthew Stepanic at [email protected] no later than Friday, November 25, at 11:59 p.m. Please include “Editorial Intern Application” in the subject line. We will acknowledge all applicants, but only those selected for interviews will be personally contacted.
Compensation: $600 honorarium, for about 25 hours per month, paid on completion of the internship.