Status: Part Time
Deadline to ApplyThursday, 15 June 2017
Founded in 1997, Alberta Views is the must-read magazine for the people who are shaping the new Alberta. Innovators in politics, education, industry, public service and the arts share and discover fresh perspectives in our in-depth analysis of everything relevant to the public interest of Albertans. Recognized for its editorial excellence, Alberta Views is one of the most respected publications in Canada, and has won Magazine of the Year and both the National and Western Magazine Awards. Right now no other province is as complex, vibrant and creative as Alberta, and no magazine covers it like Alberta Views.
Alberta Views magazine, seeks a part-time features editor to provide editorial assistance to the editor; participate in draft discussions and analysis, clean up and structurally edit drafts. The job requires a team player whose area of particular skill is in structural and copy editing and can turn around work quickly. The successful candidate must have an undergraduate degree and at least five years of professional experience doing comparable or relevant work. The ideal candidate will have strong writing and editing skills and a literary, political and social justice sensibility.
- Work with editorial team to understand an article’s purpose, thesis, tone, etc.
- Structure a feature so that it has maximum impact on readers and fulfills its purpose and the mandate of the magazine
- Copy edit features so they are clean and consistent with Alberta Views style requirements
- Coordinate editing multiple features according to the Alberta Views production schedule
- Five years of experience as a magazine or publications editor
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, English, humanities, communications or a related field
- Demonstrated professional experience and skill in magazine/feature editing
- Demonstrated copy-editing skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Even temperament
- A commitment to Alberta Views's vision and the ability to express it creatively through a print magazine
- Proficient with MS Office products, Adobe products and standard office equipment
How to Apply
Hours: 40 hours per month
Pay: commensurate with experience
Deadline to apply: June 15, 2017
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]